Old Kia Kima – April 14-15, 2018

$15.00 Per person covers Lunch Saturday, Dinner Sat. Night, and breakfast Sunday.

PAY HERE

  • From Memphis:
  • Take I-40 thru West Memphis to I-55 north toward Blytheville.
  • Beyond Marion (5-10 minutes) exit onto Highway 63 towards Jonesboro / Marked Tree.
  • Stay on Highway 63 all the way to Hardy. AR
  • Drive through downtown Hardy to the traffic light near McDonald’s.
  • At the intersection of Highways 62 and 63, turn west on Highway 62 and cross the long bridge. The road follows long curves to the right, then to the left.
  • At the top of the hill turn right onto State Highway 175. Follow this road until you see a right turn sign pointing Old Kia Kima. This is Griffin Road
  • Follow the yellow lettered Old Kia Kima signs. Proceed on Kolo Road until you see the Old Kia Kima sign and entrance on the left side of the road.

 

Here are some road maps to Old Kia Kima including instructions on how to get to OKK during high water.

What facilities does Old Kia Kima have?

There are 16 Native Stone cabins, built in the 1920’s and restored in 2000. These summer cabins are screened and each can accommodate 4 campers for a total sleeping capacity of 64. (No electricity)

The Activities Pavilion was the former Old Dining Hall constructed in 1954. This structure was completely restored and converted into nearly 4,000 square foot Activities Pavilion complete with lights and fans. It is a perfect place to get out of the weather. There is also a double-sided bath house with showers just outside the Activities Pavilion.

The Group Cooking and Dining Facility has 8 Tables for a total seating capacity of 64 in a 34’ x 40’ open air Dining Area. The cooking area is lighted, hooded vented, and set up for Dutch Oven Cooking, Charcoal Grilling, or Propane Burner Cooking. The enclosed Kitchen clean-up area is 12’ x 24’ with hot water, refrigerator, microwave, sinks, cabinets, and shelves. There are two separate enclosed and lockable 6’ x 12’ shelved storage areas on either side of the Kitchen clean-up area that can be used for dry food and cooking utensil storage. There is also an auxiliary single bathroom adjacent to the north side storage room.

The Campfire Amphitheater was a new addition in 2002. It seats over 100 and is a part of the Old Kia Kima camping experience. No group should miss taking advantage of this impressive facility!

The Old Kia Kima Chapel was built and dedicated in Spring 2005 to Ralph and Martha Jane Young. This rustic covered chapel built of natural fieldstone and cedar timbers will seat 60. It is available for church, vesper services or meetings. It also offers an open view of a quiet wooded setting across Spirit Creek.

The Thunderbird Lodge is a two story native stone building built in 1926 and beautifully restored in 2002. It houses “the Spirit of Old Kia Kima”. Interior use is available by reservation only for special functions such as Court of Honor Ceremonies, Camp Church services, BSA Leadership Training Programs, etc., and requires adult supervision while in use. The porches and roofed deck of the lodge are available at all times for use as activity and instructional areas.

The Bath House has separate toilets and hot showers on either side of a covered assembly area with outdoor seating for Merit Badge instruction, etc.

The Camp Office, walk-in freezer/refrigerator and Quartermaster’s Storage includes a large 12′ x 16′ walk-in freezer/refrigerator available for week long camping at a nominal cost of $200.00 for week long camping, a Covered Porch which doubles as a Camp activities area, and a Quartermaster’s storage area with shelves.

The Pioneering Pole Barn, added in 2002, provides rope supplies and cedar poles for pioneering projects such as towers, rope poles, rope bridges, etc.

A Tent Camping area has been added in the meadow just below the Activities Pavilion and includes four picnic tables and running (cold) water. Dish washing facilities are available at the Activities Pavilion bath house.

The Ole 97 Covered Bridge, built in 2002, doubles as a covered assembly area and offers an open window view of a quiet wooded setting across Spirit Creek.

The Camp Staff Lodge, affectionately known as the “Rat’s Nest” was rebuilt in September 2001 and dedicated to George Billingsley. The Lodge has two rooms, and four bunks for adult leaders only, and is available by special reservation / request.

The Old Hospital was restored in 2007. This structure was the last stone structure in the camp to be restored. It is just south of the Thunderbird Lodge. This building has electricity and running water and is ideal for instruction and rainy day activities.

Youth Groups use of the river for swimming as well as boating is acknowledged to be at your own risk, with the requirement that your Group Leader assumes full responsibility for providing trained and certified Lifeguards equipped and versed in appropriate group Safe Swim & Safety Afloat procedures. The waterfront area does include a swim dock as well as a Lifeguard station and Buddy Board. Buddy Board must be checked out with the camp ranger. The waterfront may not be available during times of high river water or other dangerous conditions.